Subject: Video compositing, etc. -Reply
From: Alan Lloyd <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 12:56:42 -0800

>>> Daryl Bartley <[email-masked]> 03/26/96 09:11pm
>>>
>Saw the mini-thread on compositing, and matching angles,
>reminded me of something from a while back...

>Anyone remember a tripod attachment called the 'Cameraman'
>or something similar? It allowed you to mount your camera on it,
>then it could either track a wand held by someone in order to
>move the camera, or it could remember/program moves...

We have several of these at the City of St. Paul.  IMNSHO they are
one of the _worst_ pieces of #$@$%%^$# ever foisted on the
innnocent video public.  "Remembering moves" is a joke....if they
get you to within 3 degrees of arc at 15 feet they're doing well. 
Lens control is pathetic at best.

>I remember everyone was excited about it because it sounded in
.essence like cheap motion control, and would allow for some nice
>things like two pass shots for clean plates, reasonably precise
>moves that could be recorded and therefore matched in LW,
>etc...

"Reasonably precise" moves???  HA!!!  Two pass shots?  NFW! 
You'll be lucky to get a steady pan uut of these things.

We had several of these boat anchors foisted on us by some guy
passing himself off as a design consultant.  We have cursed them
from day one, and him as well.  I have seen and used decent Vicon
systems, ParkerVision CameraMan systems, by contrast, are
barely adequate for teleconferencing

>Since then, haven't heard much about it, and it seems as though
>it's not  being made anymore...so, anyone know the scoop? Did it
>turn out to be crud?

You _might_ say that....

NOTE: This is MY opinion.  I do not speak for the City of St. Paul. 
They do not speak for me...